2009 - 2011: The Technical Knowledge Base
It was early April 2010. I had spent almost a year searching for a job, a job that wasn’t coming my way, possibly because of a complicated Master’s Degree designation, or a job market that was just horrible. If I kept going, I would become depressed, sad, useless. How would I explain a gap in my resume?
“Oh, I was job hunting.”
And playing Nintendo. And eating chili from a can. And being miserable. Yeah, life sucked.
But then, I just did it. I just started looking for online work. I found a website where I could publish my articles and make money. “Crazy,” I thought. But it wasn’t crazy. I was now making money, writing about everything from movies to television. I didn’t know it at the time, but this gig would introduce me to a crazy world of online writing, SEO, and the importance of having multiple clients. Within a year, I was balancing four clients.
2011: The Launch of The International Company
While balancing these clients, I constantly had the feeling that I should be doing more. I should be doing something else. Sure, I was learning a lot about SEO, online writing, competitive ranking, powerful headlines and so forth. But what about starting my own company, where I would become less dependent on clients?
It was here I decided to launch a publishing company. Passion is huge here. I’ve always been a bookworm, so I always knew I would have some work in the publishing industry. Voila – my first company was born. In a one bedroom apartment. This company is still active and has distributors in over 100 countries.
I also launched another company called Jorgensen Media Group, a company that owns and operates several websites and web portfolios.
2012 - 2015: The Book Years
Starting an international company taught me a lot about websites, customer service, international distributors, large corporations and creative marketing ideas. But given my past with SEO and online writing, I actually learned more about professional blogging as a sales tool than anything else.
During these days, I decided to write my first book. 7 ways to start an online business. 7 different business foundations that sell information, content, products or digital goods using the internet.
Then I wrote one more. And then one more. And then I wrote two books in three weeks. And then, after 8 books hit the market, I took a break.
2013 - 2016: Expansion In All Ways
In 2013, life took a change. It was an unexpected one, but it turned out to be just what I needed. My husband and I relocated to a small city called Saskatoon, Saskatchewan – smack in the middle of the Canadian prairie. Why? Well, he has dreams too and the job he was offered was another step towards that dream.
This was my chance to be a big fish in a small pond. Because the business foundation was already there, I could jump right in. Within the almost three years we lived here, I had gotten nationwide press, become an award-winning speaker, and a bestselling author. It really was expansion in all ways.
2017 - 2018: The Mama Years
In 2016, we headed back to Toronto. Two weeks after, the pregnancy test was positive. And that’s when the mama years began. While pregnant, business became all about planning, organizing, systemizing and preparing for this human being, who would be joining us.
And he did. And business became about changing diapers and catching sleep. More on this chapter of my life in the book, The Boss and The Baby, because – oh boy – it was quite the transition.
2018 - Now: More books, NUtunity and Olive and Cleo
While the mama years will probably continue in some capacity, I returned to full-time work in 2018. It was time to grow Jorgensen Media Group and write more books. This was also the year that NUtunity was born, followed shortly after by the mommy-blog site, Olive and Cleo. The new mission statement has become all about combining the strong foundation I have and moving forward, adding new and exciting products.
Hi – I’m Malene. Welcome to my official website for all of my tech, blog, and career-related work. You can find my books, speaking information, and contact information on the site.
My background includes an Honours Bachelor’s degree in English Language and Literature with minor concentrations in Philosophy and Modern Languages (German). I also have a Master’s Degree in Psychology of Language Use. I carry diplomas in Art Appreciation, Photography, and Interior Design, and certifications in PR and professional coaching.
All of my books are available through digital and print resellers around the world. Click on the book you wish to explore by heading to the menu, click on “Books,” and locate the book you wish to buy. Click on the specific book page to find buying links.
Malene Jorgensen is an entrepreneur with past accomplishments in the technological field. She’s also a tech blogger, content strategist, and online marketer. She holds an Honours Bachelor’s degree in English Language and Literature with minor concentrations in Philosophy and Modern Languages (German). After graduating with a Bachelor’s Degree, Malene went on to study Language Psychology as a Master’s Degree in Copenhagen, Denmark. She also holds college-level diplomas in Art Appreciation, Interior Design, and Photography. She’s currently working in her own company, Jorgensen Media Group, as a freelance SEO specialist, and she’s working on her next book. In her spare time, she likes to educate herself, having completed certifications in PR and coaching.
Past in Technology
In 2009, Malene Jorgensen graduated from the University of Copenhagen, Denmark with a Master’s degree in Language Psychology. She immediately launched her online business, where she worked with clients in New York, Boston, Miami and Silicon Valley from her home base in the greater Toronto area (GTA).
In 2012, Jorgensen launched her own international publishing company and published her first book, How to Start an Internet Business: 7 Ways to Turn Your Passion into Profit. This book was followed by 7 more books about social media, blogging and book publishing, ranging from 2012 to 2015. Throughout this time, Jorgensen worked with major companies and websites that averaged over 10 million visitors per month. It was also during this time she launched her speaking career and offered support to other online writers and students through her work with The Professional Writer’s Association of Canada.
In 2016, Jorgensen decided to go back to school, earning three diplomas in Interior Design, Art Appreciation, and Professional Photography. Jorgensen also completed four specializations and certificates in bathroom and kitchen design, commercial design, home staging, and branding in interior design. She decided it was time to take a break from the tech space and focus on being a mother in 2017. When her son was 8 months old, she decided to get back into the game and started writing Why You Can’t Say No To SEO.
Awards and Recognition Highlights:
• In 2018, Malene pursued certifications in PR and business marketing
• In 2016, Malene graduated three college-level diploma programs: Interior Design, Art Appreciation, and Professional Photography. In 2017, she completed four specializations and certificates in bathroom and kitchen design, commercial design, home staging, and branding in interior design
• In 2016, Malene was nominated for the Entrepreneurial Award for the Women of Distinction Award by the YWCA
• In 2015 and 2016, Malene was nominated for CBC’s Future 40 Under 40 Award
• Malene was a member of the Professional Writer’s Association of Canada. You will often find her at events, so feel free to attend an event and come talk to her. In 2014, she was elected the Vice President of Professional Writer’s Association of Canada (SK). She moved back to Toronto in 2016
• Malene was a member of SYPE: Saskatchewan Young Professionals and Entrepreneurs from 2013 to 2016
• In 2014, she was nominated for the “Rethink Award” for Internet Week in Denmark for her contributions to the online business market and her unique online business ideas
• In 2014, her blog – The Personal Home – was nominated for Best International Interior Design Blog by Amara Interior Design Blog Awards from the UK. It was later sold.
• Malene currently holds a Bachelor’s Degree in English Language and Literature from the University of Windsor and a Master’s Degree in Language Psychology (or psychology of language use) from the University of Copenhagen. Her thesis, Individual, Psychological, and Interactional: An Examination of Credibility of Corporate Banking Websites from a Psychological Perspective, is available through the University of Copenhagen student library. She has also written a book based on her thesis for the mainstream market called How to Build a Successful Website: Making a Connection With Readers.
How I Became A Big City Freelance Writer … With A Not-So-Big Shoe Collection (Forthcoming)
The Boss and The Baby: My Journey From Hustling Entrepreneur to Working Mom (Forthcoming)
Be Your Bold: Building a Business That’s Uniquely You (Forthcoming)
Why You Can’t Say No To SEO: The Technical Headache For Online Entrepreneurs (Forthcoming)